Thursday, June 7, 2012

Graham Cracker Cookie Goodness

I still think that the dough is better than when the cookies are baked. In fact, as I was munching away on the unbaked cookies, I thought it might almost be what they used for chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream...minus the chocolate chips (which is much better in my opinion)

So here it is. Tracked down through 2 blogs and originally from a cook book, here's the link to the graham cracker recipe. www.smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/graham-crackers

Here's what I did when I cut it in half, made it dairy free, subsituted what I was missing and turned it into cookies: (I know, phew!)
1 1/4 to 2 cups flour (You'll see why I'm not sure at all of this amount in a minute...)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (this was what I used instead of dark brown sugar as I had no brown sugar in the house, and the turbinado looked closer than white granulated sugar...someone should tell me what turbinado sugar is supposed to be used for, ha!)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (though since I didn't measure, it might have been closer to a tsp...or more)
1/2 teaspoon (or really just some sprinkles) kosher or coarse sea salt  (I happened to use my cute sea salt grinder)
3 1/2 (or so) tablespoons unsalted butter (And this is where I used my dairy-free butter-like spread)
1/6 cup (or about 2/3 of my quarter cup measurer) mild-flavored honey
3-4 tablespoons milk (They say full fat is best but I made mine with almond milk)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (be generous here. I love vanilla and perhaps why I love this recipe!)

1) Cut butter into dry ingredients: I started with what the original recipe called for (1 1/4 cup) flour and added the sugar, salt, and baking soda. I used dough hooks on my hand held mixer, but I'm not sure why you couldn't just use the regular beaters. Anyway, combine the dry ingredients, stir them around a bit then add the butter cut into chunks. Now mix until its all combined well. I was tempted to melt my butter first though the original recipe says to start with it frozen. I think that would never mix with a mixer, but perhaps thats a reason to use a food processor.
2) Mix wet ingredients then add to dry: Measure the honey, milk and vanilla into a separate container. Use a whisk to mix these ingredients. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix with the mixer.
3) Even it up to cookie dough: Then I just added a bunch of flour and used a fork then my hands to mix it in. The final product was a dough that held together well and was hardly sticky at all. A good nice unsticky ball of dough :-)
4) Eat the dough or bake the cookies. I suggest 350° for 10-14 minutes.

Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment