Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Need Encouragement?

I did today.
A little over a week ago, a single male friend of ours simply asked "So...what do you DO all day?"
Really?
I wish Nathan would have been there, because I'm sure his answer would have been better, but after a minute, I simply said "Well, Samantha is pretty much my day."
I know SAHM do much more than care for their kids. One thing I knew growing up was that when Daddy was home, we got to play, because he had time for us. He might have projects or other things of his, but it wasn't a whirlwind time of housework, bill paying, or shopping, because my mom took care of all of that during the day. Our family had quality family time. A lot. And I appreciate that.

So to encourage myself, today I'm keeping a list of everything I do that isn't for me. So my shower (however wonderful and necessary it was) doesn't go on the list, however feeding Samantha breakfast, does. Yes, every little thing, that I couldn't do if I wasn't home.
I won't brag by sharing the list, but I will let you know that at 10:30 am, its already got quite a few things on it. And I'm feeling much more accomplished - and encouraged to do more!

I like Steven Curtis Chapman's new song Do Everything. Here are a few lines...

"You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away

Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace"

There may be people where I used to work that don't understand why I left behind the job, the money, or the accomplishment.
But I'm pretty sure my family REALLY appreciates me. And I'm doing what *I* feel is the best thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment